The library welcomes gifts of materials, money, or memorials. These gifts help enrich and improve library resources.
1. Monetary contributions are added to a Gift Fund and used to purchase goods and services that are not appropriated for in the approved operating budget.
2. Memorial gifts of money, books, or other items may be donated in honor of a friend or relative. If desired, the library will select appropriate books for a memorial gift. All Books designated for memorials will be marked with a special bookplate.
3. Used books (paperback and hardcover), DVDs and audiobooks are accepted for donation. The library reserves the right to use these donations as needed. Some may be added to the library’s collection or sold in the book sale sponsored by the Friends of the Library. The following materials are not accepted for donation.
• Items that are moldy, foul-smelling, soiled, or damaged (water-damaged, browning or missing pages, torn bindings)
• Old dictionaries, encyclopedias, or other out-of-date reference books
• Magazines or newspaper, including National Geographic
4. The library applies the same criteria for evaluating gift items as it applies to purchased material. Gifts will be withdrawn in the same manner as purchased material. The library does not accept the responsibly for notifying donors of withdrawal or replacement of gift items.
5. All gifts are tax-deductible. A letter acknowledging donations will be provided. The library does not place a financial value on materials received. For artwork, rarities, or other materials of unique value a donation form may be request and kept on file.
6. No gifts are accepted unless given to the library without restriction. All gifts may be utilized, sold, or disposed of in the best interest of the library. The library reserves the right to refuse donations if it is determined that they are not useful.
Endorsed and passed by the Library Board of the Bristol Public Library in the State of Indiana on August 24th, 2017.